May 22, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
Diane G. Papadakos, Director of Communications
City of West Palm Beach – Mayor’s Office
561-822-1411 (TTY: 800-955-8771)
West Palm Beach Launches Free Citywide Transit Pilot Program
New Routes, New Vehicles to Improve Transportation Options
WEST PALM BEACH, FL The City of West Palm Beach announced today the launch of a new citywide transit pilot program that will be FREE to all riders. The program will introduce new routes, new vehicles, and a phase 2 expansion to improve mobility equity for all residents of West Palm Beach.
The pilot program will include the following changes:
- The Yellow and Green trolley routes will be combined to create a new, more efficient route.
- The Blue route will be converted to an on-demand service, giving passengers greater flexibility to travel on their own schedule.
- New, electric-powered vehicles including Teslas will be used to operate the transit and on-demand services.
- The pilot program will expand on-demand services to additional neighborhoods, including Historic Northwest, Northwood, Pleasant City, South Dixie, and Jefferson’s Terminal District
- The first phase of the pilot program will run for six months, beginning on June 5, 2023. During this time, the City will collect data on ridership, travel times, and passenger satisfaction. The results of this data will be used to determine whether the pilot program should be made permanent.
“We are excited to launch this new pilot program and improve our City’s transportation options,” said Mayor Keith James. “These changes will make it easier for people to get around West Palm Beach, whether they are commuting to work, visiting our downtown area, or exploring our City’s many neighborhoods. We are also committed to ensuring that all residents have access to transportation, regardless of their income or where they live.”
The City of West Palm Beach is committed to providing its residents and visitors with a variety of transportation options. The new citywide transit pilot program is one way that the City is working to make transportation more convenient and accessible for everyone.
Phase 2 of the project will begin in the fourth quarter of 2024 and will expand the pilot program to additional neighborhoods. The goal of Phase 2 is to improve mobility equity for all residents of West Palm Beach by making transportation more accessible and affordable.
The City is also working to make the new transit system more environmentally friendly. All the new vehicles will be electric powered, which will help to reduce air pollution and greenhouse gas emissions.
The new transit pilot program is a major step forward for the City of West Palm Beach. It is a bold and innovative approach to improving transportation options for all residents. The city is confident that the pilot program will be a success and that it will lead to a permanent transit system that is free, convenient, and environmentally friendly.
For more information, please visit rideWPB.com.
About the City of West Palm Beach:
The City of West Palm Beach is a vibrant and dynamic City located on Florida’s Atlantic coast. With a rich history, a thriving arts and cultural scene, and a commitment to sustainability, the City of West Palm Beach is a great place to live, work, and play. As one of the three largest cities making up the South Florida region, and the central City of Palm Beach County, West Palm Beach is a vibrant, growing, waterfront City that offers the business advantages available in the region, combined with a more refined and relaxed environment for living and working. To learn more about the City of West Palm Beach, visit us on our official website, or follow us on our social media: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and/or Linked-in.
Originally published at https://www.wpb.org/Home/Components/News/News/3412/772
Life - Miami County Post originally published at Life - Miami County Post